Children’s feet are different from those of adults in many ways. A baby’s foot is soft and flexible because their bones are still forming. It’s important to remember this fact when deciding on footwear for your young child. Experts warn against putting shoes on children too early. Even toddlers do better indoors without shoes, allowing their feet to become stronger and toes to develop a grasping action. A child needs to begin wearing shoes out of doors when they start to walk. These should not be too tight, and it is recommended to measure your child’s feet about every three months as they can grow quickly. Also, be on the lookout for abnormal walking patterns in your child as these may indicate underlying problems. However, do not worry that your child has flat feet, as they are born that way. The arch begins to develop as the child ages. Gait problems, such as in-toeing or out-toeing, may need to be looked at by a podiatrist, who is a medical professional trained to deal with problems of the feet, ankles, and toes.
The health of a child’s feet is vital to their overall well-being. If you have any questions regarding foot health, contact one of our podiatrists of Kokomo Foot & Ankle Center. Our doctors can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
Tips for Keeping Children's Feet Healthy
- Make sure their shoes fit properly
- Look for any signs of in-toeing or out-toeing
- Check to see if they have Clubfoot (condition that affects your child’s foot and ankle, twisting the heel and toes inward) which is one of the most common nonmajor birth defects.
- Lightly cover your baby’s feet (Tight covers may keep your baby from moving their feet freely, and could prevent normal development)
- Allow your toddler to go shoeless (Shoes can be restricting for a young child’s foot)
- Cut toenails straight across to avoid ingrown toenails
- Keep your child’s foot clean and dry
- Cover cuts and scrapes. Wash any scratches with soap and water and cover them with a bandage until they’ve healed.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office located in Contact Us . We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.